St. Patrick's Parish is listed among the very first parishes in Newfoundland. From 1784 until 1841 it was attended to by the priests of Harbour Grace. It has had three churches dedicated to St. Patrick. The first church was a wooden structure erected in 1826. Fifteen years later, in 1841, Fr. James P. Gleeson of Ireland was appointed resident priest. He commenced the construction of the second church. Present church was built in 1891. The second chapel became a convent in 1895 and a school after that.
Fr. John Dalton, another Irishman, was the second priest for Carbonear. In 1856 he was appointed Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Harbour Grace. The third priest appointed to Carbonear was another Irishman, Fr. John O'Connor. He spent eighteen years dedicated to the parish of St. Patrick's.
In 1991, Carbonear celebrated its 165th anniversary of the first church built in 1826 and of the 150th anniversary of the first resident priest dating back to 1841 and the 100th anniversary of the present church.
As a final tribute to Carbonear, it should be noted that this town has the honour of having given a greater number of priests into the church than any other place in Newfoundland. Notably, Fr. James Brown, the first to labour as a priest in his own native province. His brother, Fr. Thomas Brown, S. J., one time Provincial Director of the Jesuits in Ireland. Fr. Patrick W. Brown, PhD., D. S. T. (Doctorate of Sacred Theology) and for some years a professor at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. Fr. Francis Ryan, also of Carbonear, introduced The Devotion of The League of The Sacred Heart into Canada. Then there was Fr. Felix McCarthy, Vicar General, Domestic Prelate, the First Prothonotary Apostolic in Newfoundland history in 1929 and one of the greatest churchmen of his time.
|Fr. William Veitch||1874-1875||Fr. Joseph Donnelly||1874-1876|
|Fr. Stephen O'Flynn||1877-1878||Fr. Richard F. Walsh||1879-1884|
|Fr. Thomas E. Lynch||1883-1888||Msgr. Felix McCarthy||1889-1944|
|Fr. Thomas O'Neill||1944-1948||Fr. J. W. Peddle||1948-1953|
|Fr. Leo Burke||1953-1957||Msgr. J. W. Peddle (2nd term)||1957-1974|
|Msgr. William Hogan||1974-1980||Fr. David Heale||1981-1985|
|Fr. Brendan McCarthy||1985-1991||Fr. William Matthews||1991-2001|
|Fr. William Hearn||2001-2002||Msgr. E. T. Bromley||
Below is a link to a page containing a list of priests born in Carbonear:
There are nine Priests buried in St. Patrick's Cemetery, Carbonear. For more information and pictures of these priests Click on the link below.
The folowing page lists the priests who have been assigned to St. Patrick's Parish:
The headstones in our cemetery date back over 200 years. For a list of headstones found in the old section of St. Patrick’s cemetery in Carbonear in 1983, click the link below: